Ready to hit the Alpine slopes? If you’re lucky enough to be joining us in Austria, home of The Ski Week, then here’s everything you need to pack for the ultimate Obertauern ski experience. From faux fur to fleecy layers and national flags, we’ve got you covered.
Comfort and warmth are essential for a great day on the slopes, so make sure you check the weather in Obertauern so you can pack accordingly. We advise bringing backups in case anything gets wet (or misplaced during all the fun that is après-ski - it happens). Plus, don't forget to pack some clothes to relax in.
- Waterproof ski jacket: we love brands like Arc'teryx, Peak Performance and Patagonia.
- Waterproof snow pants or salopettes.
- Thermal base layer tops: bring two or three in either merino wool or synthetic fabric.
- Thermal base layer bottoms.
- Fleece or merino/down mid-layers.
- Fleece or merino scarf or neck warmer.
- Ski socks: bring three-four pairs.
- Evenings: whether you're going out for dinner or chilling in your apartment, pack something to wear in the evenings.
- Sleepwear: pack something cosy for nights.
Not to boast but The Ski Week hosts the best après-ski parties in the world - so you’re going to want to dress for success. Most of these events will involve skiing off the mountain straight into the party, so if you want to pack an easy change of clothes into your day bag, we recommend the following:
- Warm sweaters, jumpers and fleeces: think cable-knits, turtlenecks and woolly garms galore (we favour après-ski motifs).
- Stylish padded jackets or vests.
- Thermal leggings (vibrant colours and classy prints are encouraged), woollen tracksuit pants or ski pants.
- T-shirts: just in case the party starts heating up, make sure you have a t-shirt underneath all your layers.
Activities to pack for
Discover more about your activities and party themes here.
- Yoga: bring something stretchy and cosy for morning yoga.
- Mountain Banquet: pack your finest faux fur for lunch in the mountains at a 50m table, surrounded by 270 other TSW revellers. Think Alpine chic meets Game of Thrones meets eccentric bohemian style. Floor-length fur cloaks, chunky knitted sweaters, Bavarian-style headpieces and creative outfitting are welcome for our open-air Mountain Banquet. Don’t think animal onesies or novelty gimmicks. See here for some style inspiration!
- Flag: fly your national flag with pride at the Parade of Nations.
- Oktoberfest: no need to bring your own lederhosen and dirndl - unless you already own one! You can rent yours for our epic party here.
- 80s après-ski: bring that neon leotard and jazzy leg warmers (and don’t forget your hair spray) as we are going all out for the most epic decade of style.
- Small backpack or rucksack: not essential but bringing a small backpack is handy for carrying your water, sunscreen, lip balm and any clothing you may discard during the day or need for après-ski.
- Ski gloves or mittens: opt for ones that are waterproof, insulated and breathable.
- Goggles: pack some goggles that adapt to the conditions no matter what the Austrian weather is like, such as Oakley Prizm lens goggles.
- Helmet: safe is the new cool. Bring your own helmet or rent one.
- Skis or snowboard: bring your own or rent some from your TSW Booking Profile.
- Ski poles.
- Snow boots: bring ones with good grip.
- Ski lock.
- Warm hat.
- Hand and boot warmers.
- Power adaptor: Austria uses European plugs, which are 230V. If you're travelling from outside of Europe, we recommend bringing along a power adaptor that can adapt any plug to any power point.
- Phone charger: always an easy one to forget.
- Portable battery pack: keeps your devices juiced, wherever you are.
- SPF for days: bring a high factor sunscreen that is made for extreme sports.
- Lip balm: protect your pucker with a balm that also has a high SPF.
- Waterproof mascara: to make sure your ski adventure is free from panda eyes.
- Deodorant: Obertauern gonna make you sweat.
- Don't forget your toothbrush!
- Muscle rub: make sure you pack some Deep Heat or Tiger Balm. Your aching limbs will thank you.
- Painkillers: your hangover will thank you.
- Band-aids, gauze and tape: just in case.
- Travel insurance: make sure your insurance covers travel to Austria, all winter sports and any extra TSW activities you plan to take part in.
- Valid visa: many nationalities can enter Austria without a visa but make sure to check if you have any entry requirements.
- Passport: make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of TSW.
- Spending money: cash is king on the slopes and Euros (€EUR) is the local currency.
- Camera / GoPro: capture all the memories you'll make.
- Reusable water bottle or Camelbak: saves buying endless plastic bottles of water on the slopes and saves the environment.
- Ankle, knee or wrist supports: if you need them.
- A book (real or Kindle): for downtime.
- Earplugs and eye mask: if you're a light sleeper.
- Playing cards.
Leave at home
- Bed linen and pillows: we've got you covered.
- Expensive jewellery: leave your diamonds at home.
- Single-use plastics and non-biodegradable glitter: save our ski fields by keeping them free of microplastics.
Affiliate Disclosure: This blog contains affiliate links for Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This means we may earn a small commission if a reader clicks through and makes a purchase. All our recommendations are genuine and are in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.